Masterson Funeral Home has been a central Illinois institution for over ninety-one years.
James R. Masterson Sr., founded the firm in Pawnee, Illinois in 1920. He established a funeral home in Taylorville, where he grew up, on March 1, 1931 in a room adjoining the Montgomery Ward Store on East Market St.
On May 29, 1935 Mr. Masterson married Anna Schmelzer McManus. Anna became very active in the business, both with her husband and later with her son, and remained so until her death in 2004.
Mr. Masterson purchased a home on West Adams Street in Taylorville in 1937 to be used as a funeral home and his personal residence.
On July 23, 1946, he purchased a business building on the square in Kincaid. The growth of the business and changes in funeral trends made the Kincaid home imperative and the firm responded to this need by providing one of the finest funeral homes in the area.
In 1961 Richard Masterson graduated from Worsham College of Mortuary Science in Chicago and joined his father in the operation of the funeral homes.
Richard and the former Judy K. Ricci were married at St. Mary Catholic Church in Taylorville on October 6, 1962.
The funeral home in Pawnee was sold in June of 1968 as a private residence.
Richard purchased the business from his father in 1972
On October 23, 1973, James R. Masterson Sr. passed away.